Microscopy Platform Manager
Lead and manage the Institute's Microscopy Platforms
Collaborative environment, partnering with researchers to work on a diverse range of imaging projects
Generous salary packaging benefits
About the position
The Olivia Newton-John Cancer Research Institute (ONJCRI) has experienced significant growth since establishment in 2015, doubling in staff and student numbers and expanding research activities to 5 distinct cancer research programs, the development of a patient bio bank, a genomic and single cell sequencing platform, and soon to be established Bioinformatics capability.
The Microscopy Platform Manager will manage the newly established ACRF Centre for Imaging the Tumour Environment https://www.onjcancercentre.org/research/research-home/facilities/acrf-centre-for-imaging-the-tumour-environment to ensure the provision of an effective microscopy imaging service. In addition, you will work collaboratively with our researchers on a diverse range of projects that require imaging acquisition and analysis as well as train staff and students, and contribute to the development of new imaging methods within the platforms.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Manage operation of the Zeiss 980 confocal & multiphoton microscopes
- Manage bright field and fluorescent microscopes within institute
- Manage operation of Leica Aperio AT2- digital scanner
- Manage operation of Perkin Elmer Vectra automated quantitative pathology imaging system
- Manage other institute microscopes as required
- Contribute to the design and execution of specific projects requiring complex microscopy techniques and introducing new imaging methods
- Provide data analysis as required
- Apply and participate to research infrastructure grants to maintain state-of-the-art facilities
- Conduct regular calibration, cleaning and maintenance of the imaging equipment as well as coordinating servicing
- Develop new tools for image visualisation, processing and analysis
- Participate in the presentation of research findings at lab or institute meetings and national or international conferences
- Actively participate to manuscripts and funding applications
- Organise high-level training sessions for staff and students in the use and operation of the imaging equipment, and in the potential application of microscopy techniques in their research projects.
The successful candidate will demonstrate experience with various microscopy platforms and the ability to successfully collaborate with researchers on a diverse range of projects with researchers and clinicians. Furthermore, you will have the ability to work independently in leading and promoting the Microscopy platforms as well as working with all staff and students of the Institute to provide the training and mentoring they require with effectively use the Microscopy platforms.
The successful candidate will have a PhD in Science or related discipline and more than 5 years proven postdoctoral research experience, complemented by microscopy experience and imaging.
Key Selection criteria include:
- Demonstrated postdoctoral experience and expertise in microscopy technology of biological materials
- Advanced research experience in using microscopy techniques to investigate complex biological problems
- High quality research publications in peer-reviewed journals in a relevant research field
- Strong organizational and effective time management skills
- Proven ability to interact collegially and collaboratively with investigators
- High level interpersonal communications skills and the ability to liaise with and effectively manage staff and students
- Excellent interpersonal as well as written and verbal communication skills
As an ONJCRI staff member, you will have access to generous benefits including salary packaging of $18,550 per annum.
Click here to download the position description. Please forward your cover letter and CV with 3 referee details, addressing the key accountabilities, quoting the reference number ONJCRI-056/2020 to Mark Frewin, Laboratory and Facilities Manager, via email at email@example.com
Closing Date for Applications: 10 February 2020