There has been a treatment centre on our site since Heidelberg House was opened in 1939. Fittingly, it was also the location of Zeltner Hall, which was opened in 1917 thanks to funds from philanthropist Meyer Zeltner. It was created as a venue for movies, performances and religious services for patients. The original plans for the design called for it to be ‘handsome in design’, and there was an emphasis on it providing a space to encourage positivity. This building is now, of course, our Wellness Centre and our philosophy of ‘handsome design’ and wellbeing continues 100 years later.
The ONJ Centre was first opened in 2012 as the result of a combination of government and philanthropic support, as well as donations from 200,000 members of the public totalling $17 million. From the outset, the concept of patient-centred comprehensive care was integrated into the structure itself. Wards sit metres from research labs and wellness was fundamental in guiding the design of the Centre. This comes together to create a space that supports patients and ensures that breakthrough research is trialled and applied effectively and efficiently.